ILCA Board Member Position Description
A member of the Board of Directors (BOD) is responsible and accountable to the BOD and the association members.
It is required that a Director:
- Is an ILCA member in good standing, who has completed 2 years of ILCA membership immediately prior to 5 June 2023
- Is a current IBCLC®
- Has a strong interest in the growth and development of ILCA
- Has demonstrated leadership, systems, and/ or management experience in an organization, agency or coalition
It is desired that a Director:
- Has prior experience within ILCA or experience in other national or international breastfeeding/professional advocacy groups
- Has experience in a Board/Director post or demonstrated leadership in other positions requiring strategic or financial organizational oversight, preferably in a national or international breastfeeding/professional advocacy group or hospital setting
- Is professional in written and verbal communication with staff, colleagues and organization members
- Is proficient in speaking and writing English
- Is proficient and comfortable with common software programs, (such as Google and Microsoft Office) learning new systems and software & familiar with social media outlets
- Is sensitive to the challenges of ensuring equitable access to positions of leadership within ILCA for historically underrepresented groups
- Is sensitive to the challenges of ensuring equitable access to breastfeeding and skilled lactation care in areas where breastfeeding practices are unequal
- Has a professional or formal degree, or equivalent education/lived-experience
- Possesses virtual leadership, teamwork, and delegation skills
A Director will:
- Maintain confidentiality of all ILCA BOD communications
- Commit to time requirements necessary for effective Board Governance (approximately 10 -15 hrs/ month)
- Participate in all ILCA BOD meetings, which may be held face-to-face, online, or over the telephone
- Use organizational procedures for approval, as required, before any communication is sent or released in ILCA’s name or on ILCA letterhead
- Serve as Board Liaison for designated Committees or Task Forces and obtain written reports from designated Committee Chairs as determined by the ILCA BOD
- Keep current with issues before the ILCA BOD, activities of the ILCA BOD and staff, the Strategic Plan, and the policies and procedures of the Association
- Recommend new or revised policies and procedures as needed
- Respond to all ILCA BOD communications, checking the secure online ILCA BOD Discussion Board on a regular basis
- Be familiar with materials published by ILCA
- Consider submission of written articles for the Lactation Matters blog;
- Represent ILCA at conferences, meetings, or designated committees at the request of the ILCA BOD
- Provide financial oversight through preparation of the annual budget and review of association financial reports
- Provide a smooth transition when leaving the ILCA BOD position
TERM OF OFFICE
Directors are elected for a three-year term. For further information on terms, review ILCA bylaws, sections 5.6-5.8 and 6.4.
- A telephone
- A personal computer with capacity for Internet and e-mail access
- A current passport
- In-Person Meetings: The ILCA BOD meets face-to-face typically one time each year and in conjunction with ILCA’s Annual Conference (typically held July or August). These board meetings are typically two (2) consecutive days. Participation is required.
- Virtual Meetings: The ILCA BOD meets monthly through online communications (webinar, Zoom, etc.) or conference call (calls are approximately 1 hour, up to 2 hours). Participation is required.
- Annual Conference: The ILCA Annual Conference typically takes place in July or August and lasts approximately four (4) days. The accompanying BOD meeting is generally two (2) days and may precede or proceed the annual conference.
- Online Discussion Board: Timely review of the secure ILCA BOD Discussion Board (expected at least two times per week, but may be as much as daily), with action taken on items needing attention (approximately 2-4 hours per week).
- Other Duties: Other ILCA BOD related duties that may include additional time commitments: Committee Board Liaison, Strategic Planning, advocacy meetings, etc.